Deep, Powerful Process to Set Your Future
I am blessed to know many brilliant people and one of them is my friend Sam Horn, CEO of the Intrigue Agency and bestselling author. Sam created a process of Review-Preview questions so you can reflect on the highlights of the previous year and clarify what you’re looking for in the coming year/decade and I’m excited to share this with you as we end the year and begin a new decade.
Sam used to host Review-Preview salons at the National Press Club. Every December, they would gather to share highlights and lessons-learned from the previous year – and what they’re looking forward to in the coming year.
Many people told her they appreciated these opportunities to “connect and reflect” on highlights, intentions, what really impacted them – and why.
One participant said, “This is kind of like a verbal vision board party, isn’t it? I’ve done vision boards in the past. It’s uncanny how many of the things I put on my board came true.”
You are welcome to use these 10 Review Questions and 10 Preview questions to facilitate a fascinating conversation that adds value for all involved.
Feel free to adapt these questions as you see fit, or to create ones you feel will help people honor, as Mary Oliver said, “our one wild and precious life.”
10 Review Questions:
- What is a favorite place I discovered, explored or spent time in?
- Who is someone who really impacted me? How so?
- How did I change? What new/different beliefs and behaviors did I adopt?
- What’s a meaningful achievement or skill acquired I’m proud of?
- What happened that was unexpected or surprising? How did it affect me?
- What will I remember about my health from this year – and why?
- What was my biggest challenge – lesson learned the hard way?
- What did I NOT make time for – and I wish I had?
- What is the best book I read or movie/TV program I saw? Why?
- What experience and/or person am I most grateful for? Why?
10 Preview Questions:
- Who is someone I want to spend more quality time with? How will I do that?
- How will I contribute, give back, make a difference for others?
- What is one specific way I will stay active and take good care of my health?
- What is a new experience or place I want to explore? When will I do this?
- What is a meaningful goal or skill I’d like to achieve/acquire by the end of the year?
- Who is a new person I’d like to meet? How will I reach out to that person?
- What or who do I miss that I’m going to bring back into my life? How?
- What is a morning ritual or spiritual practice I’ll do to start each day off right?
- What is one thing I’ll do every week to bring joy into my life?
- How will I be a better person – parent – partner – leader in the coming year?
As you can imagine, there may not be enough time for people to answer all these questions.
They are welcome to choose which questions are most meaningful to them. Or, you can pare the list down to the questions you feel are most relevant.
You might want to download the app Otter.AI (https://otter.ai/login, a voice recorder which provides a written transcript in real-time for free).
Ask people’s permission to record the conversation so they have the option to print a copy of what they shared, and access it whenever they want, as often as they want, in the years ahead.
Thornton Wilder said, “We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures.”
Review-Previews are a way to celebrate being alive – for our heart and head to be conscious of life’s treasures.
When and where will you have your Review-Preview?
Put it on your calendar right now and start inviting people.
I promise, it will be time well spent, time well remembered, time well invested.
Wishing you love, laughter and magical kisses,
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!